Sunday 11 August 2013

Back into running and my chocolate protein smoothie

Today I went for my first run in nearly 9 months. It's been just over 5 weeks since Jimmy was born (naturally) and I've been busting to have a little jog each time I take the kids for a walk in the pram. Cue pelvic floor exercises!!
After I had Pippa I took up running, and completed my first half marathon when she was about 15 months old. I love running. It is my version of meditation, and I get such a high after a good jog.

I wasn't allowed to run throughout my 2nd pregnancy due to a possible incompetent cervix (I had surgery to remove about 1/3 of my cervix due to grade 3 precancerous cells just before falling pregnant- get your pap tests ladies- they save lives!!). I got the all clear to exercise at 25 weeks, but by then I was too big to consider taking up running again. I really didn't care, I was just happy to have made it to 25 weeks with no trouble!

Yesterday while on our walk I tried a couple of little jogs to see how it felt, and while pushing two kids in a pram was bloody tough (about 20+kgs to push) the jogging felt really good (if it was only for about 50m at a time). So today I decided to head off on my own. It was a beautiful, sunny winters day, perfect conditions for a light jog. I've just downloaded the Lorna Jane app, so I thought I'd trial it instead of my old run keeper.
After a little warm up, off I went. And surprised myself how far I went! I managed nearly 4km, at a nice leisurely pace and a couple of stops thanks to a pesky shoelace. I was puffing but surprisingly i didn't die in the ass at the 1km mark!
Hopefully I can get out of bed tomorrow!

After every run I always refuel my muscles and aid recovery with protein- today, in the form of a shake. I thought I'd mix it up- and because I'm breast feeding I'm burning extra calories, so I added in extra nutrients to fuel my milk supply (protein is great for milk production).
This smoothie would be perfect for breakfast (or any meal really!) It's sweet, chocolatly and packed with protein, healthy fats, fibre and lots of super foods.
 Recipe
1 scoop of protein powder (I use plain whey protein isolate)
1/4 avocado
1 cup almond milk (of fluid of choice)
1 table spoon raw cacao powder
1 teaspoon maca powder (optional)
1 teaspoon chia seeds
3 madjool dates (pitted)
4 walnuts
2 tablespoons of greek yoghurt (optional)
Whizz in blender top with cacao nibs and bees pollen for yummy crunch!

No comments :

Post a Comment