Monday 9 September 2013

Week 1 Whole30

Wow! I can't believe a whole week has passed. I survived my first week on the Whole30 plan- eating Paleo.
I went to a little afternoon birthday party, and a whole evening at a BBQ and didn't eat anything that wasn't part of a paleo diet. And no, I didn't starve! I had planned ahead- I brought my own meat to the BBQ (salmon) and a healthy big salad to share- like I always do. This one was just minus the cheese I normally would put in it. I was surrounded by lollies, chips, cake, dips, bread and potato salad.
Half of the food I can't eat anyway because it contains gluten, but keeping my fingers off the lollies was hard! But I really didn't feel like eating any of it- I've been feeling so good I didn't want to undo any of my progress.


But....last night I woke up after dreaming I was at a kids party and ate lots of chips and lollies. I felt so guilty!! And it wasn't guilt from eating the paleo foods- it was actually from the knowledge that I was only eating because the food was there in front of me. I was eating (in my dream) and I wasn't even hungry- it was totally emotional eating. I eat when I'm nervous/ stressed etc, and in my dream this is what I was doing! Argh! Clearly my subconscious is more addicted to that food than I physically am! Do you find yourself mindlessly eating party food- even though you're not even hungry?!

Why is this so bad I hear you ask- what is wrong with eating some lollies at a party- it's a celebration after all?
Well I'm trying to nourish my body. I'm trying to see food a nourishment- not a reward. And lollies and chips are not nourishment. They wreak havoc in my body- sugar highs, followed by crashes and mood swings. And I'm the kind of person who is all or nothing- so if I'm going to open that block of chocolate- I'm going to eat it until it's finished. Even if it makes me feel sick. That's how addicted I get to sugar when it comes in that form.
For me, the short term pleasure of those lollies and chips isn't worth the long term effects.
It isn't worth it for any of us.

But anyway- 1 week down, 3 to go. Here's what I've noticed-
1. A massive improvement in my sleep; falling asleep much easier and waking up feeling refreshed and full of energy.

2. Feeling full and satisfied after a meal. Realising I am full and not feeling like I'm hungry or needing to eat all afternoon or late in the evening. I use to get hungry at 10am- 3-6pm, and 7-9pm. Even after big meals I was still feeling hungry. Now I don't. Eating the right amounts of nutrients at each meal (protein, fats and carbs) keeps me satisfied.

3. More energy. I'm busting to get out walking/ running or to the gym. I'm already doing the gym program I used in preparation for Kokoda. Although I'm not as strong- but fitness wise I am able to complete it.

4. My clothes fit better. I'm not weighing myself each week- but I have taken before and weekly photos to compare. Even though I'm eating huge meals I'm still loosing weight, or changing body composition.

5. Mood! My moods are stable! I feel happy, full of life. I feel light, clear headed and inspired!

6. No more digestive issues- no bloating, cramps, or spasms.

7. I'm not craving sugary foods or comfort foods. I use to spend ages fantasising about foods I could eat, and then eventually give in and make an excuse to head to the local cafe and get a sugar laden gluten free sweet. Or make my own at home. Now I'm not a slave to the sugar!

8. I actually really like black coffee! It's amazing how your taste buds will change when you stop eating processed, sugary foods!!

So what am I eating?
Breakfast is usually eggs (as many and I can hold in one hand-3) poached or fried, bacon, mushroom and tomatoes all cooked up in a pan. Served with 2 cups of wilted spinach and 1/2 an avocado.
Lunch is usually a big salad with rocket and spinach with cucumber, tomatoes, roast sweet potato, avocado, roast beetroot and chicken or beef, dressed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Dinner can be anything from chicken curry with cauliflower rice; steak and roast veggies, salmon and salad, lamb shanks in my slow cooker, etc etc. Anything with meat and veggies!
Below is chicken curry with cashews and coriander (omnomnom)
But really you can eat anything at any meal as long as it has protein, fats and carbohydrates. Mixing it up is the key to success- I'm sure soon I'll get sick of eggs for breakfast- but not yet!

So stay tuned for a progress pic- I'll take one at the end of this week!
If you're after any info regarding the Whole30 click here or check out this other great website by Robb Wolf.

No comments :

Post a Comment